Spelled by Filipinos as chicharon, from the Spanish chicharrón. In conventional Tagalog orthography: Tsitsaron.
Bikoy’s Special Pork Chicharon
Address: #89 Villarica Subdivision, Poblacion
Santa Maria, Bulacan 3022
Ingredients: Pork skin, Cooking Oil, Iodized Salt, MSG, Seasoning
Another well-known manufacturer from Santa Maria, Bulacan, is Daboy’s, known for its chilicious Backfat.
How to Make Chicharon at Home?
Deep-fry dried pork rinds!
THERE ARE DIFFERENT KINDS OF CHICHARON
The leading Philippine manufacturer R. Lapid’s has the rundown:
- Chicharon with laman
- Chicharon “cocktail” (just pork skin without the fat)
- Chicharon bilog (pork belly skin)
- Chicharon with special laman (porkloin with fat and much thicker meat)
- Chicharon bituka (large intestines)
- Chicharon bulaklak (pork intestine railings)
- Chicharon bits (without fat or meat, like popcorn)
Crushed pork rinds are used as additional ingredients in many Philippine dishes, such as with munggo, as a topping for pinakbet and in noodle dishes like pancit palabok.
Aside from pork, even chicken and fish skin are now deep fried and sold as “healthier” versions of chicharon.