Kalamansi is a round Philippine citrus fruit known for its small size and thin green rind. It is very sour.
INGREDIENTS FOR KALAMANSI PIE
1 envelope unflavored Knox gelatin
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup refined sugar
4 eggs, separated
1/2 cup kalamansi juice
1/4 cup water
2 teaspoons kalamansi rind, grated
1 nine-inch diameter baked pie crust
1 eight-ounce bottle Avoset cream, whipped
- Mix gelatin, salt and one-half cup of the sugar thoroughly in a double boiler.
- Beat egg yolks lightly in a bowl, put in kalamansi juice and water, and add to the gelatin mixture in the double boiler.
- Stir constantly until gelatin dissolves.
- Remove from heat and stir in the rind.
- Let cool for about ten minutes.
- Beat egg whites until stiff.
- Add the remaining half cup of sugar.
- Fold the chilled mixture into the stiffly beaten egg whites.
- Pour into baked pie crust.
- Top with whipped cream and refrigerate.
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
8 tablespoons shortening
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons ice water
- Mix salt and flour.
- Add shortening, working it in with two knives in fine cutting motions until evenly mixed.
- Add water to bind dough together.
- Roll and line pie plate.
- Bake at 425 degrees centigrade for 15 minutes.