Pakam is chicken with radish in vinegar.
This is an old dish from the province of Bulacan. Very few people outside of Bulacan know of this dish. It can be considered pulutan, something eaten during the consumption of alcoholic drinks.
How to make pakam?
Cook the chicken in vinegar, salt and pepper until dry. After that, fry the chicken with garlic, onion, tomatoes, and patis (fish sauce). Then boil the mixture with water and radish.
Ginger is a frequently added ingredient as well. Some cooks also add potatoes and sili as ingredients.
There are chicken dishes that are currently called pakam despite not having radish as an essential ingredient.
one rooster chopped into medium-size pieces
1 teaspoon of salt
1/2 tablespoon pounded ginger
3 tablespoons vinegar
3/4 cups water
1/4 cup oil
2 pieces of ginger thinly sliced (long shape)
6 cloves of garlic, flattened
1 large onion, chopped
1 large ripe tomato — boiled, peeled and chopped
1 tablespoon of fish sauce
How To Cook
1. Mix the chicken pieces, salt, pepper, ginger, vinegar and water. Boil until the chicken meat is tender. Save for later the liquid in which the chicken was boiled.
2. Heat up some oil and sautee the ginger until brown.
3. Add the garlic, onions, and tomato pieces.
4. Mix in the chicken, and season with the fish sauce.
5. Stir in the liquid in which the chicken was boiled, and boil for about 6 minutes.
PAKAM NA MANOK
1 tandang na manok hiniwa sa katamtamang laki ang bawat piraso
1 kutsarang asin
½ kutsarang pinitpit na luya
3 kutsarang suka
¾ na tasang tubig
¼ tasang mantika
2 pirasong luya na hiniwang maninipis at mahahaba
6 na butil na bawang pinitpit
1 malaking sibuyas tinadtad
1 malaking hinog na kamatis, nilaga, binalatan at tinadtad
1 kutsarang patis
1. Paghaluin ang hiniwa-hiwang tandang, asin, paminta, luya, suka at tubig. Pakuluin hanggang lumambot ang laman ng manok.
2. Mag-init ng mantika at igisa ang luya hanggang mamula.
3. Isama ang bawang, sibuyas at kamatis.
4, Isama ang manok at timplahan ng patis.
5. Ihalo ang sabaw ng pinaglagaan ng manok at pakuluin nang may 6 na minuto.
Putaheng Bulakenya… Pakang na manok… “Lutong manok na talunan sa sabong.” Cross-refer to talunang manok.